Powder coating is an advanced method of applying a decorative and protective finish to a wide range of materials and products that are used by both industries and consumers. The powder used for the process is a mixture of finely ground particles of pigment and resin, which is sprayed onto a surface to be coated. The charged powder particles adhere to the electrically grounded surfaces until heated and fused into a smooth coating in a curing oven. The result is a uniform, durable, high-quality, and attractive finish.
Powder coating gives consumers, businesses, and industry one of the most economical, longest-lasting, and most colour-durable quality finishes available. Powder coated surfaces are more resistant to chipping, scratching, fading, and wearing than other finishes.
For 30 years, powder coating has been the finish of choice for a superior, more colourful, longer lasting and more durable finish. Powder coating is specified because of its durability, scratch resistance, gloss retention, weather resistance, resistance to chalking, the unlimited range of colours, finishes, glosses and textures. It is an environmentally friendly finishing process, making it an important part of a sustainable or green building project that incorporates low-emitting products. Virtually any part and any product in your next project might lend itself to powder coating including metal, aluminium and glass.
Benefits of Powder Coating
- Up to 99 percent of powder over spray can be captured and recycled
- One-coat coverage without runs or sags
- Easy cleanup No solvents to mix or recover
- No viscosity balance to maintain
- No flash-off time requirements
- No need to provide heat booth make-up when air is returned to work area
- Reject rate can be kept low because damaged coating can be blown off and re-coated before heat cure
Attributes of powder coating include:
- It’s tough
- It’s durable
- It’s scratch-resistant
- It’s long-lasting
- It’s attractive
- It’s colourful
- It’s high-quality
- It’s versatile
- It’s environmentally friendly.